Week beginning: 12th June, 2016
By Mark Jones | Reigate
"In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it."John 1:4-5 (NIV)
Enlightening the load
A career in law has certainly meant spending some time being illuminated. It has also involved quite a bit of time exploring the "grey areas" (if not trying to create them!). Being candid, it has also involved times of darkness:
• Being demoralised by the actions of those I looked up to;
• That failure to obtain a just outcome;
• Choosing to spend time in the office rather than go home and engage with the challenges there;
• Abusing freedoms and facilities entrusted to me by those I work for.
We each have our own experiences.
Jesus does not promise prosperity and success in all we do. We sin. We fall. We fail. He does not, and that is what we cling to - the darkness has not and will not overcome his light, but nor is it hidden from it.
Jesus is not a courtesy light, welcoming those areas we are happy about or are prepared to share or admit to. He is not a light only for those parts that are "sorted". It is the darkness that needs his light: e.g. those times of hurt when we felt enveloped by night; maybe those areas we have convinced ourselves are just different shades of light or best left in the shadows.
1. May the Lord take our ongoing struggles and past hurts and, in the light that is His life, deal with them.
2. Be encouraged and thankful, the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
Click here to see our Appointments Register.